Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Saturday 5 January 2008

Stocks res.

Terrible weather for birding but what the hell. Nipped up to stocks, confident that I'd get over the half century for the year but no! Only 7 more species new for '08.

Heres my updated '08 list


No shorties, hen harriers or great grey shrike on the moorland for me today. I found 3 Sika deer near the road just before the church.


















































Only a few cormorant and coot visible on the island in the blowing gale.

On to the car park feeding station.

























Lots of tits, chaffinch, 5 or 6 jay, 1 GS woody and a marauding grey squirrel.

























A flock of about 10 bullfinch feeding in the brambles up the path to the hide.
I met 2 nice chaps in the new hide, Mike Watson (who works for birdquest) and his mate Mark. Thay said theyd just seen some Brambling at the feeders, but none for me.
Nothing fabulous from the hide.


2 pairs of pintail









































the odd pochard.....

















....mallard,teal, 10 greylag geese & and the funny hybrid thingy that I thought was a scaup.
I somehow managed to miss the goldeneye and little grebe, but no major drama as I'll get them in the next few days, I'm sure.

Back over the moors still with no shortie, HH or GGS but a suicidal stoat on the road (not wearing his white ermine) staring me down until I had to jump on the brakes.

Not the greatest mornings birding.


No comments: