Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 27 January 2008

The RSPB big garden birdwatch

I did my watch yesterday from the same spot as last year. It wouldnt be as accurate if I went out looking in the entire garden area, so just the feeder area was my spot.

6 blue tits (seen at same time, not 1 bird 6 times)
1 great tit
3 robin (still sorting out their territories for 08)
2 dunnock
1 blackbird (m)
1 greenfinch
1 chaffinch
3 redpoll (feeding on the ground in front garden area)

The 8 long tailed tits turned up after I'd done my hour (same as last year).
Other notable absentees were the coal tit pair and the feral pigeons.

The female sparrowhawk took one of the ferals this week, so they seem to be steering clear.
I think the v. windy weather probably contibuted to the poor turnout of birds.


I managed to get a digibinned shot of one of the redpoll in the alder tree. The branches were blowing about in the wind, so the cameras "antishake" function works well.




No comments: