Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Monday 29 October 2007

100,000 carling starlings!!!!

An interesting day to say the least! Drove over to Blackpool to visit the Solaris centre.
I though they were supposed to be hosting the 2007 Wildlife photographer of the year exhibition but I had my info wrong and it was last years photos on display. I thought this was quick, cos the winner of this years was only announced last week.
Anyway.... hadnt seen some of last years pics, so it was still a nice visit. I'll need to find the 2007 showing now.


We stopped of at Lytham on the way and I has a scan around the shore near fairhaven lake.
BH gulls, oystercatchers, redshank, jackdaws, curlew all in good numbers. Spotted a few winter arrivals by the way of Grey plovers (below with BH gull) , they are new for my uk years list.
I thought I had a flock of 25 Twite (next 2 pics below) but they turned out to be 1st winter linnet. Very hard to separate these two, I find.










































Anyway... on to the main event.
We planned to be at Marton mere before dusk to look for the Bittern, see if the Long eared owls were back to roost yet and marvel at the 100,000 starlings that come to roost at the reedbeds.
However, what with all this "daylight saving" nonsense and the clock going back on Sunday.....we were late and only caught the end of the Starling show.
Got enough footage for a wee video.
Carling lager used footage of flocking starlings to make an advert with this soundtrack, so I thought I'd make my own short ad just like theirs.

Enjoy, and I hope you like my doctored logo at the end.....I'll be visiting this spot again soon to see more of this great spectacle!



No comments: