Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Thursday 1 November 2007

Starling show re-visited

I took treakle for walk over the road today. Loads of winter thrushes, rooks from the golf club rookery and b h gulls feeding in the fields. The little owl was in the deserted hut again but no sign of my 2 tawny owls out back, as the foliage is getting a bit thin.

I drove down to Blackpool this afternoon again to see the spectacular display of the roosting starlings.
Shoveller, mallard,teal,wigeon, 1 male ruddy duck and loads of coot on the mere. Some canada geese , a few mute swans but no whoopers.
Went to visit the nearby Long eared owl roost but they werent back for winter yet. By this time it was getting dark and I had to get in position for the starlings rather than looking for the bittern thats been reported here for the last few weeks.
I met a couple of birders from Lancaster scoping for a local barn owl (no luck) and waiting for the starlings to take to the air.

Eventually the starlings did their thing. Absolutely spectacular! countless numbers took to the air as one (or as 100,000). Its was like a plague of locusts overhead, the only sound was several thousand wingbeats.
No raptors (apart from 1 non-starling-eating kestrel) taking advantage of the numbers, I expected a sparrowhawk or two, at least.
I got plenty video footage. I'll re-edit my
previously posted video with the stuff that I got today to make a single film and re-post over the weekend.


No comments: