Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Monday 19 November 2007

Bus to Formby and Marshside

After all the excitement of the GGS at Waddington, I was in a rush to get to a party at Formby golf club. I over-indulged on Guiness and red wine and had to leave the car with Auntie Ann in Formby.
Therefore, today I had to get the bus back there to get the van back.

At Whalley bus station, just as I was finding my stop, I heard alarm calls coming from the small park. Sure enough, I turned around just in time for a female sparrowhawk shoot past me at eye level. Wow! but I think that the Blacky that she was pursuing got away this time.

The journey was quite uneventful, wildlife-wise. Quite a few goldfinch , greenfinch and chaffinches and a male pied wagtail on Auntie Annes street. Whilst picking up the van, Annes new pet red-legged partridge arrived in the garden for a feed. I often find RL partridges in this area but never as tame as this one.















I stopped at marshside on the road back.
Light was failing fast but I was hoping for some raptor action. Shorties, barn owl, merlin?....nothing! Not even a kestrel!

Load of waterfowl in to roost though. Zillions of wigeon, lapwing, blackwits (could of been wintering barwits but in this light its impossible to tell) and PF geese.

Other waterfowl present in smaller numbers were
Mallard
Teal
Pochard
Shoveller
Moorhen
Coot
Shelduck
3 Ruddy ducks
1 little grebe
Canada geese
Greylag geese
and the odd grey heron

Not the best visit but its always worth a look.






No comments: