Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Thursday 29 November 2007

Great Northern Diver!

No I'm not describing myself , although I am big (great) I do come from Scotland (northern) and also like SCUBA (diver). Heres my SCUBA diving blog. It plays second fiddle to my birding blog these days, as we only dive a few times a year, but birding I can do everyday!
I'm referring to todays twitch at Clowbridge reservoir, nr Burnley.
A lifer for me! I've seen Red-throated and Black-throated divers in their breeding plumage but this GND was cool even in its winter outfit.

It dived frequently and could cover huge distances underwater and stay down for minutes. This made dodgyscoping difficult as you didnt know where to focus in advance.




























I also observed a pose where the bird lay flat on the surface with its neck extended. Not sure if this was aggression towards the 3 goosander, the goldeneye pair and bh gulls or was just a posture that sheltered the loon from the very strong , cold winds.

Nice twitch!

No comments: