Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Monday 12 November 2007

The best laid plans of mice and men........

Finished the early shift today, got home to a phonecall from Tyrone.
Apparently, we had planned to put up my kestrel box today. I was obviously a tad more tiddly than Tyrone, when we hatched this plan.





















Anyway, the box is now up, thanks to Tyrones climbing and abseiling skills.
The nestbox is 30-35 feet up, faces due south , and can easily be 'scoped from the attic velux window. I'll try to get up again before the breeding season to check that it is secure and fill it with sticks and wood debris for nesting material.
Perhaps I'll tidy up the orange ratchet belts too. Very good for my purpose and cheap at 50p each, but not the nicest of colours.

















Also this week, I spotted the pipistrelle bats flitting around the window eaves at Ashleigh. Jill told me about this behavior before and of course we found the bat in the house!
Heres the link for our batty pictures in April this year

I think I've now decided that they are actually roosting in the house rather than using the boxes that I've provided for them. I'll keep an eye out and get some shots if I'm right.




No comments: