Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 18 November 2007

Great grey shrike at Waddington fell

I'm so delighted to have got these shots of the elusive GGS. I can only assume it's the same bird that I got fleeting glimpses of at Stocks reservoir 2 weeks (and 10 miles) ago.
I intended to visit Marshside today, as I was heading to Southport for a birthday party. However, I got the tip-off from BIRDGUIDES and the ELOC that the GGS was showing at Waddington fell.

(as usual , click image to enlarge)




























Apart from Margaret Breaks (who, I think made the initial report) I was the first on the scene. I parked at the top of the fell at the car park north of the quarry and walked down the hill towards the moorcock pub. There were some clay shooters opposite the pub but they didnt seem to be bothering the GGS which I first sighted almost exactly opposite "the moorcock".
A guy called Dave Hartley? joined me shortly after I got my first dodgyscopes of this great bird.
Whilst Dave got his scope ready, a pied wagtail mobbed the GGS until it flew off north, back towards the quarry. Dave kindly gave me a lift back up the hill to see if we could relocate it.
I wish I had brought my camcorder as we were treated to the display of the GGS turning on a mobbing mipit and what turned into a minute long ariel dogfight! I've never seen this behavior before , but then , I've never seen that many GGS's before!















I wish I had brought the SLR . I'd liked to have juxtaposed the Clitheroe cement factory with the bird, but dodgyscoping doesnt allow that depth of field.

We got a few more good views (but I wasnt quick enough for better shots as my hands were very cold, trying to focus on this very mobile bird) before several more birders turned up for the twitch.

I decided to bail down to Southport to the party. No time to stop at Marshside , but I did see large flocks of Mistle thrushes and Pink-footed geese on Downholland moss.

I'll have to collect the van from Southport tomorrow, so I'll have a look at Marshside then ;-)

No comments: