Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Wednesday 17 October 2007

2 owl species in 100 yards

Whilst pillaging my own bonfire yesterday for suitable bits of timber (to make a new bird feeding table), I flushed a little owl from the woodpile! Never seen one this close to the house before, but I do see and hear them across the road towards the railway. Hope it doesnt get too comfortable cos we're having a bonfire on the 10th Nov!

Jill had more luck than me in sneeking up on it for a photo - this one. (Click on photo to enlarge)
















But I eventually got some shots by dodgyscoping, so as not to disturb it. Heres my shot -















Only 100m away from the little owl, the 2 tawny owls are still roosting very high up, cos of the lack of foliage, I suppose , but it does seem a bit windy for them.





















The magpies have been harrassing the young kestrels again today and a male sparrowhawk just flew low over me in the garden 10 mins ago, birds-of-prey everywhere!

Other stuff
I planted some garlic down at the new garden which will be ready next June/July. I needed some good topsoil, so I've been collecting molehills in the fields - perfect!
Still a few butterflies around - red admiral and small copper.
Cropped the sunflower heads off and put them on the bird tables to stop the squirrels from eating all the seeds.

No comments: