Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Thursday 4 October 2007

Owl box project complete

Finished the owl box yesterday by drilling 5 drainage holes in the bottom, gave the outer walls a lick of "cuprinol" and put some wood shavings inside.






























For mounting 15 ft up in the Larch tree, I used 2 ratchet belts. As you can see, the belts are orange! However, I got the 2 from a shop in Blackburn for £1!!!!! What a bargain! That means that the entire project comes to £1 as all other materials were reused off-cuts from our new house.






































The front of the box faces west over the sapling field, where I've seen the owls hunting for voles and shrews. This also makes it easy to observe the box with minimal disturbance to them.

I'll now be converting my "more basic" older owl box into a kestrel platform, in a different tree 1/2 mile away.

No comments: