Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Monday 22 October 2007

Little owl box and ground feeder

I've made a little rack to keep our ground feeding tray off the floor and thus free of sludge and slugs when it rains. Magpies, the single rook (that tries to talk to me, I swear! He's like a parrot trying to talk), woodmice and hedgehogs all visit the ground feeder but the first customers today were 3 jays.








































3 bullfinch, a couple of siskin, and loads of winter thrushes mobile yesterday but of course no little owl - now that I've hastily built a home for it!





















Entrance hole is 3" diameter, then I've read that they like "baffles" to make a wee entrance lobby leading to the nesting chamber which is 6"x6" (the back left side of the box is redundant.)

Got another of those (orange) ratchet belts in Blackburn, 2 for £1, and they're ideal for securing the box to the tree.

































So here it is, about 9 feet up in one of the field corners. Hope something sets up home. I believe that little owls dont have as much trouble as Tawnies in finding suitable natural nest sites, because of their smaller size. Guess I'll just wait and see.

No comments: