Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Wednesday 10 October 2007

Project bat box





















Managed to get my 3 bat boxes up last night. Got some cheap glue from the £1 shop in Blackburn to fill any gaps. So again the entire project cost £1 as all the timber is old offcuts. Plenty of pipistrelles about, so I hope they use them.
I was given a pre-made bat box from someone who didnt want it. The entry gap is 30mm (pips and other small bats like 15-20mm). A treecreeper nested in it last year but I'll put it up on the gable wall at our new house and see if we get any larger bats, Noctules etc.






















I've put the bat boxes up about 9 feet, in an area where I know they feed.
BTW thats Stoneyhurst college in the background of that photo.

Hadnt seen the owls since I put up their new owl box last week. Magpies, tits, blackbirds and even one of the juv kestrels were all mobbing them this morning, so they were quite easy to find. This is the highest I've seen them roosting (approx 30ft) , foliage cover is getting thin.


















Strangely, I found two dead voles within a 10cm area in the owl copse, both only partly eaten and then left. Dunno if the owls are the culprits, maybe theres so many prey species that they can afford to be choosy!

No comments: