Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Friday 26 October 2007

In search of the corn bunting

I stopped off at Newton marsh today during my deliveries. Just between Preston and Freckleton at BAE Warton is this floodpool on the farmland. You can park very close to the pool to take a look, and there is quite a lot of birdlife here.

(as usual, click on photos to enlarge)















The birds didnt seem at all fazed by the jet fighters thundering overhead, they must be used to it by now.














Plenty wigeon (below), teal (bottom right of photo 2), mallard, moorhen, coot and 1 shoveller.













Approx 10 black tailed godwits quite close to the viewing road, but I'm sure there were more further back.














Also at the far end of the pool, I found these 7 little egret.














Unfortunately, I didnt spot any corn buntings (Colin Bushell reported them here last week), but when scanning the skies for passerines I did see 10 Whooper swans flying over on migration.

I'll try again for the buntings on Monday - I'll be visiting nearby marton mere in Blackpool, hoping for the spectacular display of 100,000 starlings and a reported bittern too!

No comments: