Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Saturday 28 June 2008

I'm not on duty at beacon fell today cos the Hen Herrier nest is empty! The 4 chicks have flown the nest meaning that the webcam has nothing to see.
Its great that this nest was successful and that loads of local folk are more aware of the harriers plight.
I'll be concentrating my efforts on my Kestrel nestbox now. I wont put a webcam in this year but will set one up next year before they nest.
I watched the box this morning for half an hour, not much action but the female is still sitting. I located my tawny owl today as well. Its new daytime roost is well hidden so I cant get photos as good as I could back in May. Click here for best owl shot this year.

We're off camping again from tomorrow. We're going to Cornwall to visit the Eden project
and to go to the Jack Johnson gig on the beach at Newquay. Obviously I'll be birding and sea watching too. Target species are dartford warbler and basking shark.

No comments: