Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 22 June 2008

Weekend camping at Sherwood forest

Jill and I have been camping in Sherwood forest this weekend. We camped at a small site run behind the redbrick house hotel and went to see the Forestry Commission Crowded House gig in the woods.



















We went to see the Jools Holland gig at Cannock chase last year and really liked the idea, so we went again.

We we lucky to get a light, warm Friday evening for the gig, but even though I drank too much red wine, I still got up at 4 am to go birding.

Target birds for this area were Barn owl, yellowhammer, green woodpecker, tree pipit, nightjar and woodlark.

I did see 40 odd species of bird , 3 of which were new for my UK 08 list (taking me to 139 species in the uk this year). However, it rained a bit on the Saturday and the gales from Saturday night onwards probably ruined any chance of seeing barn owl hunting or nightjar churring overhead.

I was delighted to get some digiscoped shots of yellowhammer....





































and this juvenile green woodpecker










































Whilst BBQing at my tent, I could watch the young swallows being fed.





































Other creatures seen were this fox...

















...2 roe deer, rabbit, hare and grey squirrel.

























I watched the fox hunting rabbit from the lane, really fast, but the rabbits just outran it every time. Great views though.

Even faster, were the many Hare, but the fox didnt even try for these!
























Jill found some tiny froglets in the campsites pond too.


















Another cunning wildlife watching trick I use whilst camping is this. Most campsites have a toilet/shower block that leave the lights on all night. In the early morning, I always check to see what moths and insects have been attracted.
Only one on this occasion, a "Heart and Dart" moth (Agrotis exclamationis)




















Other insects found were some cockchafer beetles (below), violet ground beetles under our tent and a few speckled wood butterflies.

No comments: