Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Thursday 5 June 2008

Kestrels nesting

















I've delayed reporting this just in case I was "jumping the gun". After 2 years of thinking that the tawny owls were nesting in my nestbox, not just roosting near it, it appears that kestrels have moved into the box in the next field!


I went for a walk on Tuesday morning (I'm working nightshift this week) and when I was under to the large ash tree where I put the kestrel box......I was swooped upon by the male bird!
I quickly retreated, but with elation, not fear.
I'm so happy that they've moved in!
I've waited a bit before reporting this, in case I was wrong, but they are still there near the box now. The male would never have swooped on me unless he had chosen that tree as the nest site. He has also swooped on one of the juv carrion crows that fledged this week.
I placed the box with a clear aspect for the birds approach and this aids viewing into the box-front through my 'scope. I'll keep a keen eye on the box for more movement.

I must again thank Tyrone Morgan (a friend and tree surgeon) for erecting the box for me using his climbing and abseiling skills. Perhaps we could paint some advertising on the box for next year.

Maybe I'll call spring watch cos their kestrel box is empty!

The tawnies still roost near their box but no signs of usage (apart from the occasional squirrel eviction.)

Most of the (6) blue tit families have fledged this week, even the family that took up residence in one of my bat boxes!!!! I had a treecreeper nest in a batbox last year!

Not all made it though, I found this unhatched egg in one nestbox.


















The great tit box has fledged too, along with a longtailed tit family. I dont know where the longtails nested.
So the garden is really alive at the mo, with 50+ bluetits, 10+ longtails, 10+ starlings and 5+great tits! Both crow nests have fledged and I've found a new chaffinch nest.



















Goldcrest, blackcap and this song thrush continue to sing daily.

















Other wildlife news this week -
2 nice moths at work.
I rescued and released a Cinnabar moth from inside the factory on my nightshift
and then outside in the factory yard I found a very large hawkmoth attracted to the light.
I gently cupped my hands around it, but it escaped before I could ID it.
:( Possibly an Elephant hawkmoth.


No comments: