Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Thursday 21 June 2007

Jay attacked by magpie

I was rudely awoken today (at 6am) by a thud on the window followed by an awful row, involving what I knew to be the magpies cackling.















When I
opened the window to see what was going on. A magpie promptly let go of this jays tail, and flew off. I dont know if the maggy chased the jay into the window or if it just attacked the jay whilst it was stunned. The local carrion crow had a go at the jay while he/she recovered but also flew off when it saw me. The jay looked a little more alert after 15 mins and flew off with dishevelled feathers and a bruised ego.















I found one of its beautiful plumes on the driveway.
















The male sparrowhawk also flew over this a.m. mobbed by swallows.

Jills dad hired another dumper 2 days ago to finish his new shed, so as not to disturb the pied wagtail family. It appears the young have now left the nest (in the workings of the vehicle) and are now keeping both parent busy with feeding duties.

No comments: