Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Friday 15 June 2007

Brockholes quarry

The weather is still miserable here, just look at this poor goldfinch sitting out the rain, in the garden.
We were down Preston way delivering today, so we stopped at Brockholes quarry for a look, and miraculously, the weather cleared for a while.














Nothing new bird-wise. Whitethroats, reed bunting, sedge warbler and all the usual waterfowl. I'm sure there was a reed warbler singing too but I've still not had a good view of one this year.
I found this cinnabar moth, too be expected really as the caterpillars eat ragwort and there was loads of ragwort amongst all the wildflowers today.
















Also a few skipper butterflies around. I'm not too good at separating these species, but I think these are small skippers















...and another new moth for me, a "shaded broad-bar". Maybe I should become a lepidopterist rather than an ornithologist.














Amongst the fantastac array of wildflowers today was this "spotted orchid".

No comments: