Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Tuesday 12 June 2007

Bad choice of home for wagtails
Well at least the garden got a good watering with the storm last night, after a week of sun. The tawny owls looked a bit forlorn today when I visited them. 4 or 5 "painted ladies" in the garden this week and a few "speckled woods" in the back field.
































I found a "dark arches" moth as I was gardening today (while the soil is damp) and managed to get another 3 of this years moths IDed here-

Birdforum moth ID thread















This evening, I found out that a pair of Pied Wagtails have nested inside the dumper truck out back.















The parents are feeding young but I hope they vacate the nest before Jills dad needs to use the dumper again (probably next week). I managed to maneuver my small video camera with night vision into the workings of the machinery to view the nest, but I still dont know how many young there are.

No comments: