Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Friday 2 May 2008

Dotterels on Pendle hill

Let me first apologise for the poor photos, as for the 2nd time out of 3 I've climbed-up Pendle hill with dud batteries in my camera.
I would have helped if I hadnt wasted valuable power, taking snaps of cannon fodder Red legged partridge and this male chaffinch at Pendleside farm that let me approach to within an armslength.

(as usual, click on picture to enlarge)




































Of course the main reason for the climb (quite a struggle with my newly fixed toes) was to look for ring ouzel and dotterel.

No luck with the ouzels, but I did find a small collection of fellow birders just past the trig point, sitting down low. I guessed that they werent having a picnic and probably had some Dotts in their sights.

Now.... before my battery light started flashing low, I was having trouble even seeing all of a single dotterel because of our low angle.
Its kinda like "scruples". I've seen dotterel before. Probably, so had all the others trying to get a view. We also know that its quite a confiding bird, not too fussed by human proximity. However, not wanting to seem rude, I wandered of behind the wall to get a higher angle to get some shots. (this was the cue for the battery light to start flashing...... "b@$^*£&!")
I would never purposefully cause a bird or animal stress with noise etc and assume that most others would follow a similar etiquette. The wall gave a better angle and more cover for myself anyway.

Shortly, I was joined by 3 birders who had travelled from the Manchester area to visit Pendle hill. They wanted to share my view point (behind a 5 foot, some 30 metres from the Dotts)
They told me, they'd been told (by a fellow birder) to sit down and wait for the Dotts to approach them. They'd joined me because they could barely even see them. Doesnt really work when a bird-watcher can't.....well....."watch birds".
Well....heres the shocker! As soon as theyd left the hopeless-sitting-down-not-seeing-any-dotterels area, and joined myself behind the wall........
the guy who "told"(their words not mine) them to sit down.....then proceeded to approached the birds within 10 meters and crawls towards them with a huge SLR lense!

Now, I am familiar with the perpetrator of this "crime" and I'm sure this wasnt meant to be a hypocritical as it seemed, but it did raise a smile for me.
Personally I dont mind most birding crimes, like eating your sandwiches loudly in a hide not the Prince Harry/Hen harrier shooting type crimes.

Anyway, I'm sure M (identities have been concealed so as not to offend) has now read this and is laughing cos he now has much better Dotterel photos than me. I'm also sure that the threesome who'd travelled quite a distance for the dotts have now forgotten the incident.
Isnt it amazing that such an innocuous, non-competitive hobby such as birding can become such a political hotplate eh?






















































Anyway, jolly nice folks the Mancs were.
We discussed the Dotts, the goldies that we also saw, and the red grouse that had evaded me today.
We also got onto dodgyscoping techniques and discussed a few cameras like cheap and handy Fuji finepix A920. Easier to cart up a hill than a fully lensed SLR!
If "the Mancs" do eventually find this webpage then feel free to contact me for any other frugal Scotsman-type camera advice.
Next time you feel like getting a good look at a bird....you just go ahead on do so.
Lets face it, on August "the glorious" 12th all the country toffs will be zooming about the hill taking pot-shots at anything alive.....I hope someone tells them to sit down!

4 comments:

Mike Watson said...

Hi Mitch

Yes, you're right your entry did make me laugh, however it did raise some important issues and I would like to put the record straight.

First of all apologies are due to the Manchester three, who were indeed very nice folks. They told me that they were going to look for Golden Plover, before they went to hide behind the wall. Ooops! The dotties were visible from where we were sitting and I was hoping that they would do their normal routine of eventually walking over to us. I have seen them many times before like this (lots on Pendle and I guess c.1000 in total including some 100+ flocks in Hungary). Tony Cooper also mentioned in his 2007 article (March/April issue?) in the excellent Birdwatch magazine that folks should sit down (at least) to observe Dotterel and few people will have seen more Dotterel on Pendle than him. I suggested that we all do so and no-one seemed to mind. One of the problems with Dotterel is that so many folk want to see them and they do get stressed when surrounded or approached by people standing up (wing-raising or bolt-upright posture are the signs to look for). We could see them, although not continuously and the reason I did not fancy the wall was that you were looking into the sunlight - not good for photos, except comedy dodgyscope ones. Better infront of the peat hag opposite, with the light behind and where we did not break the skyline as looking over the wall? I have done the crawling over the ground routine many times and have yet to flush a Dotterel this way. I think they walked off about 20m feeding as I approached and they were still in the same area as I crawled away and left you watching them. They did not look stressed to me.

The causing birds stress issue is a difficult one, we cannot know their minds completely and simply by going birding we will cause a degree of stress - listen to the alarm calls as you walk through a wood for instance. I think on balance we do more to benefit birds by encouraging folks to go birding rather than all stay at home or hide behind walls. Interest in them would decrease and the other land use interests would take over completely if we did not have the one million members of the RSPB etc.

Anyway, keep up the good work and if you ever run out of battery power again you are welcome to some of mine (I always have spares), or the use of a power monkey charger to get your machine going again.

Incidentally my lens is not so big! Don't be fooled by the lens hood - it is only a 100-400 zoom.

Best regards, Mike

Neil said...

Mike

Glad you took it well , it was written with the best of intention and with tongue firmly in cheek.
I do enjoy a bit of stirring.
I'll be back up the hill again hopefully before the dotts move on and hopefully I'll get the sun behind me.
As I've said previously birding is only one of my many hobbies. All of the others create far more controversy.
Scuba divers - always telling me what I should be doing, touching, not touching etc (even though I'm 10 times more experienced)
Video editing - always pulls the arguments for software & music copyright etc
As does my guitar playing
Rugby - well thats just straight forward English biased media coverage.
Camping and hiking - wells thats the whole "public rights of way" argument.
I even get told off by Jills mum on how I should be cultivating my chili peppers (even thought its only me that eats them!)

Your right, stressing birds is always going to occur to some degree, so everyone should just do their best to minimise this, and maximise their enjoyment of the great outdoors.

Anyway I'm sure the Mancs were'nt really as affronted as they made out.
Creative writing certainly isnt one of my top hobbies.

I'll see you out there.

Regards Neil (Mitch)

Steve Flynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Flynn said...

Neil
I'm glad you've raised this point because in my view Dotterel have been harrassed by photographers on Pendle this year. On my first trip up for Dotterel a week ago I witneseed three birder/photographers surrounding two Dotterel down to three or four metres. The Dotterel were not impressed a flew off. In my opinion this was beyond what is acceptable and I hope this subject getting an airing makes people think about their behaviour when out birding/photographing. For what its worth I was also up Pendle when Mike was there with his group - Mike I recognised you from your blog photo. Mike's group's etiquette/fieldcraft seemed totally appropriate and they spent some time watching the Dotterel from a distance of 30-40 metres. In fact, I'd have gone closer myself for better views but I'd have got in the way and I didn't have time to hang around for better views.

Anyway I'm just glad this subject is getting some discussion because it's been bugging me recently.

Regards

Steve