Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 4 May 2008

6 Dotterel on Pendle hill

2 posts in one day! Well I enjoyed the bluebells at spring wood so much that I thought I go for another walk, this time without Treakle.

The rain kept the dog-walkers from spring wood but it didn't keep them from Pendle hill. After my visit to Pendle hill this week, we debated birding etiquette - how close should we approach the dotterel?

Well, that discussion is moot after the way 2 golden retreivers were bounding around the heather and grass. As usual the owners couldn't give a monkeys, and probably wonder why the guy with the scope and bins (me) was shaking his head in disgust. So with the dogs and the joggers, the dotts were very mobile today. Some more have arrived in, there are 6 now (3m 3f).

There are signposts by the nick o' Pendle and Sabden paths, telling dog owners to control their dogs, as there are ground breeding birds. However, I havent seen any of these signs on the pendleside path.

I was the only observer between 10am-12 and the wall provided shelter from the elements as well as hiding me from the birds as they approached to 15-20m.

So I got some better shots this time and a bonus shot of a golden plover too.




No comments: