Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Monday 10 March 2008

RSPB Vane farm, Fife

I was in Edinburgh at the weekend for the rugby at Murrayfield. I managed a short visit to RSPB Vane farm at Loch Leven on Sunday morning. My luck continued after Scotlands win at rugby and I scored a SMEW for my yearlist. Well 2 actually, a redhead and a drake. They didnt stay-put very long and flew off 5 minutes after my arrival. Below is the only record shot that I could manage :( Dodgyscoped from about half a mile away.


















In the fields between hides were lots of curlew, oystercatcher and woodpigeon, with skylark singing and buzzard calling overhead.





























The sun came from behind the cloud for short spells giving me good light to dodgyscope teal, northern pintail, shelduck and GBB gulls.


































































Goosander was another sawbill missing from my 08 list too, until today.


















I dropped in to visit my mate Phil in Hamilton on the way back down to England. His neighbour had a good flock of siskin on his niger seed feeders.

No comments: