Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 2 March 2008

Bad start for my Blackstart, on Pendle hill

I attempted to photograph this drab little robin (as Jill would describe it) on Saturday. The weather wasnt great and my body protested against this being a bit too much like exercise. However, with my own dodgyscoping snapper back at the repairers, I borrowed Jills mums compact digital for the job. What I forgot was that Ann likes to leave all her batteries flat until needed!!??!! Yep, I found that out in a 60mph gale just below the peak of pendle hill with a black redstart just coming into focus. I must have looked like Basil Fawlty when he attacks the car. "Right thats it! I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing...."

Got very angry and gave up, but being a stubborn bastard, I vowed to return to get the shots.

Also saw 6 golden plover (in the air), 2 stonechat and 2 raven on the Saturday.

Anyway, this morning my body didnt complain too much, although the background noise was more likely to be my asthmatic wheezing than the ravens croaking.

Got up to the point and there he was, waiting to have his photo taken.

Click on pics to see larger version -

here's the blackstarts location and my circular route over the top.....








HHHMMMMmmm looks a bit steep!

























Some frogspawn in a pool at the first style to the pendle path from pendleside farm.



















Lovely sunrise views from the hill


































Look at this little poser!











































































































I felt really invigorated after the climb and my reward, so I decided to go over the top to see if I could get shots of the goldies, red grouse or even some snow bunting.

No joy with any birdlife (apart from a lone Mipit) on the top, but I did see and hear 3 skylark in full song flight just up from the pendleside layby. My first skylark sightings this year.


Other weekend news
22 grey heron flew over our car at the swallow hotel, Samlesbury. Clearly en route to brockholes quarry.

14 avocet seen flocking during a very breif visit to Marshside

4 huge leopard slugs climbing the garage wall in the rain.

Click this link to see David Attenboroughs "Life in the undergrowth" for a video link of mating leopard slugs.

No comments: