Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Tuesday 17 July 2007

I was staring out the attic velux windows when I heard the distictive call of the green woodpecker again! I went out and searched and found 2, an adult and a juvenile. The didnt breed here, but must have nested nearby.




















I noticed a little damage to the dead oak in "owl corner" the last time I spotted the greenie. This time, I'm sure the damage was caused by them.




















These to chucks of dead wood are 5 feet long! I also noticed a day-flying bat (probably a pipistrelle) up in the corner. Small bats live under the bark of such dead trees and this one may have lost its roost to a rowdy feeding woody!

Heres the only pic I managed of the green woodpecker.















Also noted today - bullfinches calling from the hedgerow and plenty meadow brown butterflies in the field.
Havent seen the owls for a few days now.

No comments: