Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 29 July 2007


The best news is that it's finally stopped raining! Heres one of the greenfinches waiting to be fed just outside the nest. I hope that this is the one that we rescued.














Theres been another brood of dunnock and of blue tits in the garden too this week.
A southern hawker dragonfly has been hunting in the garden and also in the sky, a minimum of 6 pipistrelle bats. I hope the bats are using my bat boxes.
After the death of one of the woodmice I've seen 2 at the same time, to confirm that there are actually more than just one. Jill also found a dead common shrew on the lawn.
No sign of the owls or green woodpeckers for a week now.
This morning I found that the spotted flycatchers down at the railways seem to have had 2 successful broods.

No comments: