Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 13 May 2007

Digiscoping at stocks reservoir
Stopped off at the fishery first for a look and found this nice redstart inspecting the nestboxes and singing his heart out. My first redstart this year. A goldcrest was in full song too but too fast for the scope.

as usual click photos to enlarge



























I could hear a cuckoo calling as soon as I got out the car. It was calling from the hillside opposite the new hide, but scanning the trees yeilded nothing, I couldnt find him. I did get a good view of 1 of 3 singing garden warblers, on my way to the hide though.

Bit of a wader fest today. 6 Dunlin, 10 oystercatchers, 1 greenshank (years first), 4 common sandpipers, a scattering of lapwing and a ringed plover. I'm having trouble separating ringed from little ringed at distance. I cant see the eye ring even with a x80 eyepiece.
All the other usual suspects present - Canada geese, greylags, cormorants, LBB, BH and herring gulls, mallards, coot and moorhen. Didnt see either the little owls at shays or the shorties on champion moor.














Female merganser














Canada geese















Dunlin











Greenshank
















Ringed plover? with common sandpiper














Ringed plover? with oystercatcher

In the garden, I thought the male blackcap was alarm calling at me but the 2 tawny owls had changed tree roost. They flew off to their usual spot after I disturbed them.

No comments: