Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Saturday 28 April 2007

Took a while to locate the owls through the scope today. One owl definately seems lighter coloured than the other (see yesterdays pics) and I suppose is slightly bulkier too. Anyway... after photographing this one today............. Click to enlarge

....I kept on scanning the trees for the other and eventually found a pair of eyes watching me intently from a crab apple tree. The other one wasnt sleeping! I'm guessing the darker , more alert bird is the male and the lighter , slightly larger bird in the larch tree is the female. I saw some movement around the nest box just before last light yesterday, but not enough to be sure that they are using the new nest box.

No comments: