Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Thursday 26 April 2007

In the garden today
My sunflowers are starting to poke through, now I'll be starting the battle against the slugs and snails.
3 butterflies - a peacock, an orange tip, and a small white.
The bullfinch pair are still around.
The tawny owl is perched quite openly near my owl box again. I really hope the female is in the box. I approach the area very quietly now and scan with the bins to see if they are there. I hear a male and a female calling every night. There is plenty prey for them, voles and woodmice frequent our feeders quite regular and plenty baby rabbits at the moment too.
Here's a baby rabbit we found in the garden a couple of years ago. This one in Jills hand, had crawled out the nest onto our path, so we had to replace it.



and heres one of the voles coming to the feeder


I think I'll go out tonight (before the pub quiz that is) and photograph the woodmouse (I saw it last night below the birdtables) and the hedgehogs.

No comments: