Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 1 March 2009

RSPB Barons haugh, Lanarkshire

I was up in Scotland for the rugby at Murrayfield yesterday. I went with 2 Italian friends who flew in for the game. We had a great day with plenty of liquid refreshment. I look forward to visiting Rome next year for the rematch.

Anyway, on the way back, I visited my friend Phil, in Hamilton (my hometown, even though I now live in Lancashire) and we went for a walk to Barons haugh.

Some of my earliest birding memories with the YOC were at Barons Haugh. The pathways are certainly been improved since my first visits 30 years ago! The reserve boasts one for the northernmost nuthatch colonies in the uk, and a population of marsh tits. These are both species that I certainly didnt see here in my youth.


Sightings today were - mute swan, greylag goose, little grebe, tufted duck, mallard, teal, goldeneye, coot, lbb gull, bh gull, grey heron, cormorant, jackdaw, carrion crow, magpie, buzzard, siskin, robin, bullfinch, treecreeper, wren, greenfinch, chaffinch, great tit, blue tit, long tailed tit, woodpigeon, dunnock, blackbird, collard dove & lapwing.

Siskin was the only new sighting for my 2009 list.



.























No comments: