Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Saturday 26 April 2008

Ticking along nicely

Yesterday, whilst walking Treakle at Spring wood, Whalley, I spotted my first blackcap of the year.
I really expected this species earlier in my list, as a male usually over-winters near our garden.

However, this was a female, and drew my attention with her alarm call. The alarm was probably aimed at me, Treakle or the nearby great tit.

Today, whilst walking Treakle again (his owner is on holiday), I spotted my first common sandpiper of the year. Walking along the river Calder from Whalley towards the sewage works, I had no sooner said to Jill that I "expected the sandpipers to have returned", and I spotted one!

Correction on my previous post Mike Watson has corrected me that Ross's goose and Ross's gull were discovered and named by 2 different guys. Silly assumption by me.
NB for self - never assume.............you'll just make an ASS out of U and ME....geddit!

PS I've just finished writing up the Scottish camping trip report - scroll down 2 posts to read it.

No comments: