Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Tuesday 12 February 2008

Some pics of our favourite winter visitors

Finished my shift at the factory at 2pm and by 3pm I was out in the lovely crisp sunny day. I shot up to Burnley to see if I could dodgyscope (with a borrowed camera) the waxys.
Tada! I got lucky! They were back at the conservative club, not in the rowans at Hargreaves.
No sooner had I fired off 4 shots and they were away, leaving another birder, who had just pulled-up, with no prize.





































I decided to push my usually terrible luck, with a visit to Hollins farm for the Great grey shrike. Scored a strike with the shrike too!!!!



















I viewed the bird for quite a while, but it wouldnt come any closer due to annoying dog-walkers. Not just normal dog-walkers...the type that feel the need to make as much noise a possible down country lanes.


























































Still....delighted to have scored twice in this, the best weather we've seen this year.

Bad news - I saw a dead badger next to the road in Simonstone village.

Other news - the little owl across the road from the house was calling in broad daylight today.

No comments: