Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Thursday 7 February 2008

Marton mere then Fairhaven lake then Lytham moss

I had compiled a list of targets for todays trip, long-eared owls were at the top of that list. I parked in the Marton mere holiday park for the first time. Very closley packed static carvans, I dont imagine its a very nice place to holiday.
Lots of smells of fox around the lake, nearly as strong as the smell of urine in the hides. Its disgraceful but I do notice that some cameras have been erected , so that the rangers can keep an eye on the hides.
Anyway....I cant believe that I didnt managed to find the LEOs! I've been to see them in previous winters but I couldnt find them in the usual roost despite an hours scanning :(

The only new ticks for my uk 08 list was a ruddy duck and some reed bunting, I saw a male on NY eve but no more until today.

Quite dejected, I moved on to fairhaven lake in Lytham. Scored a linnet on the shoreline and a little grebe on the lake. Both had managed to evade me so far this year. RB merganser, canada geese, jackdaw and numerous mallard were also present. It was high tide, so not much wader action.


































Time was running out as I had to get back to work the late shift. I took the most direct route back to the M55 on my map and found a new birding spot! Lytham moss...I'd always wondered where that was. I stopped for a scan and found some Whooper swans, 2 mute swans, a few curlew and I think I may have heard a skylark singing but could see any. Also spotted a male stonechat, another common species that had evaded me until today.


































So, six new species for the 08 list, but still a pretty disappointing morning. Still cant believe that I couldnt find the LEOs!!!!!

And to add to my dismay, I dropped my 2 month old digiscoping camera and broke it

:( When it rains it pours

other news - Had to brake for a weasel, crossing the road, just before coffin lodge on the way to Clitheroe. Saw it in the rear view crossing sucessfully.


No comments: