Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Tuesday 21 August 2007

I've been busy with our new house in the last week, not much chance for wildlife watching or blogging, but I am making plans to attract wildlife to our new garden in Billington.

The sun is back out this week, so plenty butterflies - peacock, small tortoiseshell, speckled wood and 1 small copper. Also 2 new moths this week, Ann (Jills mum) found a satellite.....















and Jill found a Svennsons copper underwing (which took a while to ID).















There have been nuthatches calling in the oak trees this week and bullfinches enjoying the many brambles and berry trees that are fruiting. The cuckoo pint (AKA lords and ladies) are budding in the shade of the hedgerows.


Southern hawker
and common darter dragonflies have been flitting around the ponds.














I even found this common hawker in the new garden too. Apologies for this photo as I only had my phonecam with me at the time.

No comments: