Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Sunday 17 January 2010

Tiger shark in the river Calder


I thought I'd take a short Sunday walk along the Calder to see if the wintering common sandpiper was still present.
The litter washed up on the banks was deplorable.









































I saw a few mallard, 1 moorhen and a pretty big gull roost, but no common sandpiper.
On the walk back, I took a football ( amongst all the bottles, I had a choice of many! ) for my mates Jack Russell to play with.
I found this freshly half-eaten pike. Must have been a grey heron as the fish was 12"+

















The most ridiculous piece of flotsam on the banks was this 6 foot tiger shark! (gull roost in background)

No comments: