Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Thursday 6 May 2010

6/5/10 early morning visit to Pendle hill

Got up as early as possible today(5.30), to go and see the reported pair of migrating Dotterel on top of Pendle hill. I hoped that the mist would burn-off after sunrise but it didnt. The summit was shrouded in mist leaving me with 10 yard visibility.
Just before the summit (when vis was still 50 yards) I spotted and digiscoped this golden plover.






























Took me a while to find the Dotterel (even with the very accurate ELOC report) but when I did find them, I got down low and waited for them to approach. Terrible conditions, but nice to get some shots of the female, my 122nd species recorded in the UK this year. Even more worth it to get the summit to myself, I'm sure it will be very busy at the weekend.












































No comments: