Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Saturday 10 April 2010

Dunsop Bridge raptors

I watched this bird and its partner for about an hour this morning. Had them all to myself and then shared with a couple from Wigan, who luckily came along while I still had it in the scope. A lifer for them!
Then we watched the pair in flight for a while until they disappeared before the weekend crowds came along. (inevitable on this lovely sunny day)
I watched the perched bird preening (my scope views better than these "dodgyscoped pics" show) and both birds together in flight.




















Having met "Mr Angry" last weekend, a random birder I came across, effing and ceeing to me about all these "so-called" birders who cant tell a "Sprawk" from a "Gossie". He was quite comical in his ranting, and clearly thinks he is a "better" birder than most. But anyway, the views I've had this weekend were even better than last and I am in no doubt as to their identity.






















PS also today my first willow warbler sighted in 2010, with many singing, and 3 small tortoiseshell butterflies too.

No comments: