Ornithology and wildlife around East Lancashire, Pendle hill and the Forest of Bowland, by Neil Mitchell

Friday 3 April 2009

Ring Ouzels up Pendle

Another crackin day. Couldn't see pendle hill from my front window today cos of the mist, but I figured that the cloud would soon burn off. I drove round to the pendleside farm layby, and by 9.30, the sun was shining.

I expected wheatear today, but before I even got half way up towards the "quarry", I got an even better sighting. I watched 3 male ring ouzels drop in from high over the hill from the South. They nearly landed on me!!! Calling frequently they proceeded to feed on the path in front of me! Of course, by the time I'd got my tripod and camera set up they'd pinged me and started moving up the hill following the stone wall to the "quarry" area.

I watched them for an hour or so, and then headed up to the summit. Loads of meadow pipits "parachuting" and the odd skylark in full song too. Still too early for dotterel but I'll be up the hill frequently this month anyway.















On the path















On the stonewall at T junction of the wall leading up from the farm.
















Above the "quarry"

I only actually found one wheatear today and that wasn't until I started coming down the steep stonepath. This quite confiding female is the first I've seen this year.


No comments: